Timeline

Thursday, 31 January 2013

Saying good bye and RIP Twinkie!!!

I knew saying good bye to everybody was going to be the worst part of the emigration, but this was 10 times worse than I could ever imagine!

Firstly, we had a farewell party for the kids on the 1sdt of December, so they could greet all their friends.  It was fun for the kids and I think a very important part of their good bye's to their friends ...

Some photos of this event ...

Friends!

Table decorations and snacks


Party favours!


We also did a BIG farewell for our friends and family.  I rented a venue in Centurion and we had a great afternoon / evening with friends and family.

Some photos of this farewell:

 

Table decorations


Sarel

Me! (Chantel)

Megan

We went to say good bye to my kid's great grandparents (on their father's side"), friends, grandparents, our own parents and the dogs.

Neré and Cara saying good bye to their great grandparents
 

The last month (including at the farewell) ... every time we had to say our good byes, the waterworks just opened.  I can not put it in words how difficult it is to say good bye. This is by far the "shittiest" part of the emigration process!!!!!



Another unexpected good bye!

Before we went to Cape Town, we took the dogs and the cat to my parents house.  They all adjusted very well and the cat settled into her new environment.  Unfortunately on 1 January 2013, while my parents were at the midnight service at church, a stray cat attacked our cat.  Our precious cat, Twinkie, got quite hurt and my parents rushed her to a emergency vet.  The Vet were able to do an operation which was way too expensive and had no guarantees, so we had to make the very unfortunate decision to put the cat to sleep. This decision  was made 3 hours into the new year. 

It broke my heart to give the news to my daughter (it was her cat).  My daughter has ADHD and Twinkie was a birthday present to her for her 7th birthday.  Not only was it a pet, but also therapeutically to my child.  The cat was her life!!! Twinkie slept with her every night! They were inseparable.  It was already difficult to leave the cat at my parents house, but to lose her so soon thereafter .... very sad.

So RIP our beautiful cat, Twinkie.



This is how the Twinkie slept with Neré - every evening.  She slept on her own Teddy on the bed



Saying good bye to our dogs was just as difficult.  We are going to try and get them to Australia, but that is a whole different story... I'll let you know the progress of bringing them over.

Xina! (8years)

Penny! (6 years)

Daddy with his other kids (Xina left and penny on Right)

Dogs always sit with Daddy!


The last good byes were to the house (our dear house which we build ourselves),  to the neighbourhood and then to my Parents and sister and her family at the airport.  Seeing that I cried the whole day, I had very few tears left over at the airport.    :-( 

This photo below was of my parents, sister and her family who came to say good bye at the airport.


As I said, saying good bye was definitely the most difficult part of our emigration. Oh, I wish there was an easier way, but we just had to bite the bullet and do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment